PDA

View Full Version : Program owners - how big are affiliate earnings in your total earnings?

MrDeiz
02-03-2014, 03:09 PM
It's obvious affiliate earnings have declined over the years and many programs rely on all sorts of in-house traffic, but still?

sliiing
02-08-2014, 09:16 AM
It's obvious affiliate earnings have declined over the years and many programs rely on all sorts of in-house traffic, but still?

For my own websites, around 50% of my earnings are from affiliates. Regarding my customers websites, I would say that it varies from 20% to 60%

The average would be 35%. These are not statistical numbers though... Just my feeling from what I see.

mpahlca
02-18-2014, 06:43 PM
less than 30%

JesseFame
02-19-2014, 02:05 PM
The average would be 35%. These are not statistical numbers though... Just my feeling from what I see.

Not too far off from what we see here.

Marshal
02-21-2014, 09:00 PM
My personal opinion is that the bigger programs built a lot of in-house traffic thru time, and that the whole industry is going thru the process of consolidation, just as any other mainstream industry. Affiliates are thinking that the market shrank, but actually, the thing is probably opposite - programs grew their user base over time.

Can't speculate about numbers, but affiliate earnings in the total earnings are most definitely decreasing.

Affiliates should try to come up with new ideas, since the whole business model is a bit outdated. As this is, most definitely, their only way to survive. Anyway, it was always about "adapt or die".

Pdeluxe
03-05-2014, 05:46 PM
I dont think the market shrank at all, if anything, its grown bigger. Its just that the usual venues where we all used to get sales from just arent there anymore.

To make crazy money in this biz is to do something equally crazy (something the tubes did when everyone thought that giving away free content was crazy). I heard someone say (not telling who) that he was planning to buy 200k worth of content and sell it at $1 lol -just might work, who knows.

JesseFame
03-06-2014, 05:12 PM
Affiliates, much like certain players and parts of this industry are resistant to change. Those that did innovate, find new ways to promote [Adwords SEM's, clip cutters for tubes, etc] are still raking in money. There are SO many ways to promote and SO many more as yet undiscovered. But people still focusing on just gals and link sites and bitching about not making any money... I just don't understand their thought processes. Not that there isn't money there but clearly the traffic avenues have shifted.

tacamateurs
04-01-2014, 10:06 PM
Hi all

Adrian here, owner of tacamateurs.com (http://www.tacamateurs.com) . Only just come across this place so thought i would say hi

For us, affiliates represent about 35% of the business but thats growing month on month. I know others are saying business is down but I have to say for us the last 6 months have been good.

I guess we are a bit different to most other programs in that we have a lot of sites (300 or so on one network) and consequently we generate a LOT of affiliate content (currently around 10,000 fhgs and video clips etc with new stuff added daily). That way, no matter what niche your traffic is, we've probably got sites and content to match.

I agree that program owners need to get creative nowadays and not just rely on a few banner links. Those days are gone

Just my 2 cents worth

kickassjesse
04-02-2014, 08:00 PM
It wasn't as big as it used to be. At its peak, affiliates contributed close to 45% of our revenue. It is now under 30%, however, affiliate revenue has actually been pretty stable in terms of cash flow, but percentage wise, it's not what it used to be.

rastan
05-02-2014, 11:39 AM
Maybe 50% of ours is affiliated. That *was* heavily weighted towards the tubes, but not so much nowadays, with review sites making up a much bigger proportion of the affiliate traffic.