PDA

View Full Version : Block Lists

Webspider
08-21-2013, 08:40 PM
I'm looking for some opinions.

In an efffort to reduce attacks, bad bots, etc I starting using an iptables block list. Which targets china, iran, russia to name a few.

My question is are any of you making sales in those areas?

MrDeiz
08-22-2013, 01:02 PM
hey. are you having a problem with ddos attack? what's 'sales' for?

Webspider
08-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Yes DOS, SQL, Brute Force.

My question to webmaster is. Are you webmasters making sales from China, Russia, Iran, etc?

MrDeiz
08-22-2013, 07:44 PM
we have been under DDos attack for a couple of times, but my coder handled it w/o on his own
try https://www.cloudflare.com/ or services like that

sliiing
08-23-2013, 07:48 AM
I never ever get sales from China, Iran etc.
Russia is a bit tricky. Many hackers comes from there. But many legit people as well. I would not block Russia unless you block it only for a couple of days until the attacks stops.

Webspider
08-23-2013, 02:31 PM
I never ever get sales from China, Iran etc.
Russia is a bit tricky. Many hackers comes from there. But many legit people as well. I would not block Russia unless you block it only for a couple of days until the attacks stops.

Thanks.
The Russia block list is from known problem CIDR.

Webspider
08-23-2013, 02:33 PM
we have been under DDos attack for a couple of times, but my coder handled it w/o on his own
try https://www.cloudflare.com/ or services like that

I don't think you understand my question. I have methods to protect my server. I was asking about sales from those areas.

Rik Lear
10-13-2013, 01:09 AM
I don't think you understand my question. I have methods to protect my server. I was asking about sales from those areas.

The answer is a definite no. Over the last decade it's always been this way. Iran = No way. Russia was/is addressed above by Sliiingman (killer proggy btw):), and I kinda agree with him. It's touchy because there are genuine sales to be had, but is it worth it(?).

But China, I'd give them another 5-7 years at least, until they slowly breakdown their curtain with the people. Things seem to be moving more towards internet freedom every month (if you follow the news). They will not be able to contain the population much longer due to the direction the overall attitude is moving. I predict sales from them to grow, but it'll be more towards the end of the decade. Call it, "Rik's China Prophecy" hahah..

In the past though, you are right, it's basically (IMO) not worth it at least for now. Things will be different in the coming years however.

The attacks can be taken care of, like you said, but the over all 'sales' -- *meh*